Saturday, October 2, 2010

Band Tryouts

     So MTV's Made had been in my school for a week or so, and I was super sassed because I wouldn't even know it.  Like, not often can someone say a reality TV show is being filmed in their school, so I wanted to like see cameras and everything all the time.  But I never ever saw cameras or Natalie, the girl being "made", and I felt like I was being gipped out of a once in lifetime experience.  So I hear about band tryouts and I know I have to try out just so I can see the "made coach" and cameraman and everything, and maybe if I'm lucky, be on tv for a second. I have like 100 instruments at my house (for real: piano, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, cello, mandolin, banjo, trombone) and noone really plays them anymore except for when my dad occasionally bangs out a song on the piano.  I played cello for like 8 years so I figured I should try out on the bass guitar since it would be the easiest to bullshit, and I wrote a little song dedicated to Natalie on it.  These were the lyrics:

Natalie, here you go,
gonna play your first rock n roll show
last week you played the classical keys
and now you're gonna star wearing band tees
and at the homecoming football game
you mights show up the players, what a shame!
sure, they will make a pass
but Natalie, you're gona kick some *silence and leg kick*
Natalie, play those rock n roll keys.

And I of course had a ridiculously easy bass guitar line to go with it.  For the record, I have never played the bass before.  So anyway I go to tryouts the next day fully expecting to look like a joke and not make the band wearing jeans, a head automatic t-shirt, and a ridiculous dog-collar chokie necklace with spikes on it.  The made coach looks like Jack Black in school of Rock, and sort of acts like him too.  He told me he thought it was cool I was a female bassist when I signed in, and I was like, "oh great, wait till he sees my display of skillz".  So I go and sing my song and tryout and like, idk, I guess people liked it cuz it was mildly funny or w/e, but I certainly showed that I suck at bass guitar.  The other two bassists who tried out were incredibly talented and blew me out of the water, but at the end of tryout Natalie and her coach deliberated and chose me.  Probably because I was the only girl who tried out, and I wrote her a song.  I was so shocked and now I'm like, ohhh crap I better learn how to play the bass guitar...

We'll see how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment