Thursday, October 7, 2010

Band Practice #2

So second band practice.  We all show up but Natalie and the camerawoman and the made coach arent there yet, so we just like jam for a bit.  Then Natalie and the camerawoman come and we take forever getting all setup and whatnot.  Like a good solid 40 minutes.  We finally start playing but everyone is unfocused and we're not getting anything done.  Also, we kept getting insanely awful feedback from the amps so that sucked.  Anyway we finally start legit playing our song and I'm feeling pretty good because I'm actually playing notes instead of air-guitaring it out like last practice.
      In terms of how much "reality" goes into filming this reality tv show, I'd say it's like 70% sincere.  Many times the camerawoman (who is also the producer) would be like "I didn't catch that, say it again." and shes constantly like "Say it more sincerely. That sounded contrived".  She would ask us questions prompting us to say negative things, and when I refused to answer anything negatively she was like "ok guys, I know in the real world it's really good to be nice and positive about everything, but it is so boring on tv.  And this is a television show.  Instead of making everything sunshiny and qualifying anything slightly negative with a positive afterthought, be honest and tell me if something is going poorly."  So then everybody started saying bad things, I tried to still be pretty nice though.  At one point the made coach was like "you guys need to get strap locks" and I'm like "whatt?" and he's like "they keep the straps on your guitar better" and I'm like ohh like  dreadlocks?  The camerawoman tried to capture that idiotic blonde (literally) moment of me but it turned out too insincere upon further attempts.  The made coach proceeded to telll me I reminded him of a girl he dated when he was 15 who started crying at a restaurant because she saw that they had chicken fingers and shes said "chickens don't really have fingers, do they?". WTF. idk if I'm more weirded out by this or insulted that I apparently remind him of the stupidest most emotionally unstable person ever.  Whatevvs.

Oh well I guess I should rewind a little bit.  The coach eventually showed up to practice and was like "I've been outside for 45 minutes listening.  It sounds pretty bad." bahaha, bummer.  But basically he just told us what to fix and we played the song a few more times, did individual interviews again, and called it a day.  Then me and the rest of my bandmates minus Natalie loitered outsider her house for a good solid hour and just talked.  So I'm glad I'm making good friends with these people, they're really great!  Also, I jokingly mentioned to the producer that we should have a band photoshoot and she was like hmm, I'll consider it." so that'd be super cool.  I hope it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment